I was invited to have a quick chat with Ogie Alcasid recently. Known for ballad classics, this songwriter went back to what he loves most – singing. After four years, he released “Ikaw Ang Buhay Ko” album.
“Ikaw Ang Buhay Ko” was once an on the spot song from a TV5 show called ‘ The Mega and The Songwriter’. After years in limbo, it was remade into what is now the carrier single of Ogie Alcasid’s albnum under Universal Records.
The song’s lyrics are romantic, and at the same time, spiritual. Ogie says that the secret to their 5-year love story, alongside any other relationships that they have with their co-singers is that they recommitted their selves to God.
Ikaw Ang Buhay Ko album has ten songs, five are original compositions and the others are dynamically remade. We have “Hawak Kamay”, “Hanggang”, “Tanging Yaman”, “Iingatan Ka”, and “Pag-ibig”.
I also made some quick points during the small conversation. Here are the juicy ones:
- I composed the Lobo theme song. Wala pa akong studio nun. May mga aso pang tumatahol sa background. The song was given to Martin dahil hindi pwedeng boses ko ang marinig dahil hindi naman ako taga-Dos.
- The album is very calming according to a friend from the states. Hindi ko alam kung magandang comment yun. Baka nasabi lang niya yun dahil nakatulog siya.
- It is a very different time. Panahon na ng millenials. Attention is too short. Mahirap na mag-ballad.
- Parang eleksyon lang yan. The more genuine you appear, the better.
- Ogie Alcasid, alongide other famous singers, make up One Walker – a Praise and Worship singing group.
- not biased to any church
- members are from different churches, all loving Christ.
- it is a radical band.
- I once mad e a song for Alden called “I Love You”. Fan ako ng Aldub at nung panahon na yun, Alden needed a new song other than God Gave Me You.
Ogie is no longer about winning. He has made his mark in the industry. Pag composer ang pinag-uusapan, hindi mawawala ang pangalan niya. Now, he is aiming to leave a legacy. If you are up for it, he trains 60 singer/songwriters every year, and they are now on their sixth year.
I wish Mister Ogie Alcasid good luck. Sana hindi tayo abutin ng another 4 years para makapag-release ng album. Kahit yung pang-baby lyrics na ballad, try mo. Para dun sa son mo. Malay mo, mag-hit.
Also, Boy Pick Up. Boom!